Thursday, May 31, 2007

Perpetually Churning It Up

Why is it that a photograph made from a view camera can be matted and framed and hung on a wall for a lifetime as a work of art? I would have to argue, however, that the people who would do this are becoming extinct. That modern photography, with its love of quantity and contextualization, has taken over. A new kind of viewer appreciation is occurring, has been occurring. One photograph doesn’t have to have such a profound and dramatic lasting impression on you, as it did in the past-that past where you would want to frame it and have it forever on your wall. Photographs now have a shorter lifespan- and we can’t condemn them for this, we can’t take away their relevance or significance- all negative connotations to the short-lived must be thrown out the window. A photograph can satisfy you like a meal or a magazine- you can devour it and get much satisfaction from it. And soon, you’ll be hungry for more.

1 comment:

oper33 said...

I don't know if I can completely agree with your premise. There are still a lot of people shooting great work with view cameras and just as many shooting terrible work with view cameras. And just because you use a bigger camera certainly does not make a picture any better.
wow look at how sharp it is! oh boy! For me the view camera taught me a lot about slowing down taking very carefully composed photographs, and I needed that, but it killed my spontaneity. It slowed me down to a crawl and then it just stopped me.
Shedding the view camera has allowed me to find some middle ground, and I needed to find that balance of spontaneity and a careful eye.

Call Dave get your 4x5 back, think how much fun you would have shooting 4x5 color again. Love your blog Mike.